CERB substitutes


CERB Substitutes

Beginning in October 2020, displaced Canadian workers have two options to continue receiving income support. For people with financial flexibility and spare cash, creating passive income is the third option.

Transition to EI

If you received CERB through Service Canada, the transition to the retooled Employment Insurance (EI) system is automatic. However, you must apply for EI if your Social Insurance Number (SIN) starts with a “9,” you’re self-employed or declared in your CERB report that you returned to work full-time.
If you received CERB from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) but eligible for EI, you must receive all your CERB payments before applying. For new EI claims between September 27, 2020 and September 25, 2021, the minimum benefit rate is $500 weekly or $300 per week for extended parental benefits, net of applicable taxes. Your EI claim can last a minimum of 26 weeks up to a maximum of 45 weeks.

Apply for CERB

If you were receiving CERB before but did not qualify for EI, you could apply for the Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB). The taxable benefit is also $2,000 per month ($1,000 payment every two weeks). Unlike CERB, the CRA will deduct the tax due upon release.

The program period is retroactive to September 27, 2020 and available until September 25, 2021. Instead of 28 weeks, the maximum period is up to 26 weeks. The order conditions to qualify are you stopped working, or your employment and self-employment income dropped by at least 50% due to COVID-19.

Full Article: